From: Brian McNamara (lorgon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-20 15:10:07

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:45:53PM -0500, Rozental, Gennadiy wrote:
> I merely need just few starting pointers and if possibly couple links. Also
> explanation what does this library provide exactly would be helpful.

Here are a couple not-bad starting places (among the first google hits
for "functional programming"):

   comp.lang.functional FAQ
      http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/Department/Staff/gmh/faq.html
   Has answers to Qs like "what is FP?" as well as stuff on technical
   topics like currying and monads.

   "Why Functional Programming Matters"
      http://www.md.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/whyfp.html
   Talks about aspects of FP that are good for modularity; emphasis is on
   higher-order functions and lazy evaluation.

As for what FC++ provides, again the quick summary is
 - higher-order functions
 - lists (in the FP sense)
 - lazy evaluation
 - lambda, currying, monads, other syntactic niceties
 - a library of common useful functions (like map and foldl)
In short, most of the important features you'd find in a modern FPL.

--
-Brian McNamara (lorgon_at_[hidden])