From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-23 11:30:06

"Stefan Slapeta" <stefan_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Michael Glassford wrote:
>
> > Sorry. I meant two things:
> >
> > 1) Boost.Thread requires a dynamic library to fix a Win32 problem.
> >
> > 2) Someone, earlier in this thread, I believe, pointed out that
the
> > ability to compile Boost.Thread as a static lib had been removed
on
> > non-Win32 platforms for no reason.
> >
> > I was suggesting that, if both these facts are true, support for
> > compiling Boost.Thread as a static library should at least be
added
> > back for non-Win32 platforms.
>
> Why just for non-Win32 platforms?
>
> I would suggest having a static lib also for Win32, but without tss
(as
> this needs the dll version).

That's why I said "at least".

The reason I was posting is that, if I understand correctly, the
non-Win32 static library builds should be restored since there was no
reason for their removal. Since I don't use any of those platforms, I
was asking for a comment from those who do whether this is a correct
statement.

In addition, the "at least" above implies, and other postings of mine
explicitly state, that as far as possible (either by means of limiting
features, or by means of Roland's pseudo-dll approach), I would like
to restore static libraries in Win32 builds. Since I haven't yet
attempted this, and since the static library in Win32 builds was
removed for good reasons by the original Boost.Thread maintainer, I
can't promise that this will work out, as I also stated elsewhere.

Mike