From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-23 21:47:45

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:44:29 -0500, Beman Dawes wrote
> At 03:28 PM 2/18/2004, Peter Dimov wrote:
>
> >> I think it's a fuzzy line in the sand, so all I really know is
> that I do >> like "ref" and don't like "fs" :) > >Yes, is seems that
> it comes down to personal preference. Dave likes to say >filesystem,
> and you don't like fs...
>
> I never liked either. "filesystem" is too long and sounds affected.
> "fs" is too short and non-specific. Those names just escaped because
> nothing better surfaced.

FWIW (irony here), most of the perl modules dealing with files use either
File or Filesys. My guess is that it is impossible to make everyone happy
here but personally I'm fine with filesystem. But I'm with Dave on
prefering spelled out names in general. Abbreviation is a hard habit to
break, but overall it just obscures code IME (that's in my experience ;-)

Jeff