From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-02 14:38:41

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message:

> The whole topic of custom stream_buf versions or better yet,
composable
> stream_buf adaptors has been under appreciated in my view. I know
there was
> some discussion and work done. I don't know what happened. I
suspect it
> turned out to be "too big" to finish to boost standards in the
amount of
> time that the developer could allocate.

Sometime last summer I posted a small library for creating custom
streams and stream buffers. You suggested I extended it to incorporate
filtering, which I did. It's in the formal review queue. I'm not sure
it's what you had in mind, but you can take a look at the online
version here: http://www.xmission.com/~turkanis/iostreams/.

One type of streambuf I chose not to support, because I didn't think
it would be used much, was a streambuf whose underlying sequence of
characters is presented as a fixed in-memory array. (Daryle Walker
provdies one in his i/o library.) The application with memory mapped
files seems important enough that I think I should add such a
facility, which would be easy to do. I'm trying to decide the most
elegant way.

Jonathan