From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-03 09:18:54

"Matthew Hurd" <matt_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Been looking at the very cute named_params in the sandbox. Getting
> around to trying to do some stuff with it.
>
> Noticed something interesting w.r.t. vc7.1 optimization:
>
> BOOST_NAMED_PARAMS_FUN(double, power, 0, 2, power_keywords )
> {
> double b = p[base | 10];
> double e = p[exponent | 1];
> return pow(b ,e);
> }
>
> double pow_wrap(double b, double e)
> {
> return pow(b,e);
> }
>
> are the same speed, around 25 nanoseconds on my machine, when called with
> some variable parameters ( now = pow_wrap(t.elapsed(),t.elapsed() /
> (rand() * t.elapsed())); )
> to defeat the chance of variable elimination and constant propagation.
>
> But interestingly,
>
> BOOST_NAMED_PARAMS_FUN(double, power, 0, 2, power_keywords )
> {
> return pow(p[base | 10] , p[exponent | 1]);
> }
>
> is more than five times slower at 144 nanoseconds.
>
> Which is the opposite to what I would of expected... Anyway, I found it
> interesting :-)
>
> It seems the take home message for me is that it is possible to use the
> named_params library with no, zippo, notta bit of abstraction overhead even
> for a very simple function wrap.
>
> I'm deeply impressed. Well done Dave and Daniel.

You can thank the good people at Microsoft for that. I don't think
we put any special attention on avoiding abstraction penalty other
than doing the obvious things (e.g. pass classes by reference).

> It would be nice if the macro could some how encapsulate the keyword
> definition so this might be eliminated.
> struct base_t;
> struct exponent_t;
>
> namespace
> {
> boost::keyword<base_t> base;
> boost::keyword<exponent_t> exponent;
> }
>
> struct power_keywords : boost::keywords< base_t, exponent_t> {};

Good point... but we anticipate the keywords for a given library will
probably be re-used in several function interfaces, so we can't
rightly do it all with a single macro invocation -- you might need to
write several lines like the last one, for different functions. We
can do something like:

     BOOST_NAMED_PARAMS_KEYWORD_DECL((base)(exponent))

to generate the keyword declarations and then something like:

     BOOST_NAMED_PARAMS_KEYWORD_SET(power, (base)(exponent))

for each line like the last one.

> The pre-processor trickery to do this is beyond me I'm afraid.

It's not hard, if you're willing to spend the time poring through the
PP lib docs. I just worry a little about ending up with a library
interface that hides everything behind macros.

> I am interested in being able to iterate over the parameters extracting
> keyword_types, argument types and argument values.

Since the parameters can have heterogeneous types, there's no way to
iterate over them. It would, however, be possible to "recurse" over
the items with something that looks like:

    for_each(params, some_templated_function_object)

> Convenient string names would be good too but I can always uses
> typeid on the keyword_types.
>
> Why would I want to do this? I would like to use this approach as a way for
> inserting an intermediary function. Specifically, I would like to call
> f<direct>(x,y) and have the direct representation called or f<marshal,
> destination>(x,y) and have an intermediary serialize the params into a block
> and send it off on a transport where a representation along the lines of
> f<marshal, source>(x,y) would accept the block in some infrastructure
> somewhere else. f<queue_for_processing_in_a_thread_pool>(x,y) fits this
> model too.
>
> Any thoughts?

I guess my first thought is: "Whaa??? What does any of the above have
to do with a named parameters library?"

And then I think: "OK, he wants something that mates the serialization
library from Robert Ramey with the new tuples (fusion) from Joel de
Guzman".

I can begin to vaguely see a reason to slap a named parameters
interface on top of the whole thing, but it seems like you could do
that as an afterthought. Am I missing something? I must be.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting