From: Matthias Schabel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-03 11:13:48

> It seems that the idea of adding a medium-complexity GUI library to
> boost
> is popular, but that there are widely varying opinions on how it
> should be
> done.

I think this is a great idea - my interest would probably be atypical
in that I would
love to have a cross-platform system on which to hang a 2D/3D
scientific visualization
library.

> 7. It should not use device-specific units like pixels, wherever this
> is
> practical.

I'm not so sure about this requirement - from an efficiency standpoint
in applications
such as image processing it is best to be able to discriminate between
integral and
continuous screen scaling.

As far as the demo program :

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
     window w = create_window();
     w->title("Example window");
     w->contain(create_button(w, "Hello, world!"));
     wait_for_signal(w->delete_signal);
}

why not :

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
     window w("Example window"); // more consistent with button syntax
below
     w.add(button("Hello, world!")); // no need to have w be a
pointer?
     w.wait_for(delete_signal());
}

or something like that.

Matthias

Matthias Schabel, Ph.D.
Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research
729 Arapeen Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
801-587-9413 (work)
801-585-3592 (fax)