From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-04 00:03:20

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Shannon Stewman
> Sent: Thursday, 4 March 2004 2:42 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] GUI library - another one
>
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:30:47PM -0500, Hurd, Matthew wrote:
> > > On Behalf Of Beman Dawes
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Even the "why not" version seems overly complex compared to a
console
> > > iostreams "Hello, world". Why not just:
> > >
> > > winout << title("Example window") << button("Hello, world!")
> > > << wait_for(delete_signal);
> > >
> > > I'm not necessarily pushing that exact approach, but just pointing
out
> > > more
> > > C++-like alternatives.
> >
> > I understand you're not pushing that approach. It couldn't quite
work
> > like that as you're trying to structure a tree rather than a
sequence.

> This is beside the point. Trees are isomorphic to lists that contain
> lists. For example:
>
> winout << title("Example window")
> << divider(2) << up << ( panel << vertical
> << label("Hello, world!")
> << textentry("Name: ") )
> << down << ( panel << horizontal
> << button("OK")
> << button("Cancel") );
>
> Which, assuming my parens are right, could give you something
> like:
>
> +---------------------------------------------+
> | Hello, world! |
> | Name: ____________________________ |
> +---------------------------------------------+
> | /-------\ /--------\ |
> | | OK | | Cancel | |
> | \-------/ \--------/ |
> +---------------------------------------------+

For sure, to be sure. Not sure I like the approach though. You could
off add and << as alternative for the same thing.

I see that you could have multiple properties for the same container by
having the result as the container too.

        Some_widget << colour_red << width(pixel(100)) << text_box <<
font("Arial") << height(millimetres(8));

Not unreasonable and you could format it like

    Some_window
        << (
            some_widget
                << colour_red
                 << width(pixel(100))
                << some_other_property
           )
        << (
            panel
                << horizontal
                << (
                      button("OK")
                      << click_event( dooby_doo::on_click )
                   )
                << button("Cancel")
           )
    ;

Not as bad as I thought before I started typing this mail...

Regards,

Matt Hurd

Susquehanna Pacific P/L
hurdm_at_[hidden]