From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-05 12:54:41

At 03:19 PM 3/4/2004, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:
>Le jeu 04/03/2004 à 17:53, Matthias Schabel a écrit :
>> For numeric code these functions are indispensible but, since they're
>> C99, they are technically C++ verboten. It seems to me that it would
>> be worthwhile to add them to boost::math - they could probably just
be
>> cut-n-pasted from the C99 gcc headers...
>>
>> Matthias
>
>I won't repeat one more time on this mailing-list my opinion on the C99
>mathematical and floating-point functions. However I want to point out
>(since nobody else did it) that it is impossible to simply "cut-n-past
>from the C99 GCC headers". Indeed Boost and the GNU C Library do not
>share the same license. Moreover the problem becomes platform- and
>compiler-dependent if you want to handle the long double type (is it 8,
>10, 12 or 16 bytes long?) for example. So it is a lot more work than
>just copy-pasting some headers.

Have you seen "Proposed additions to TR-1 to improve compatibility with
C99" http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1568.htm?

Unless there is some unforeseen problem, C99 functions will become part of
the Library TR. The technical work on the TR is due to be completed this
coming October.

I'm not sure if anyone would want to go to all the effort of providing
these functions for Boost when they know that TR1 implementations would
probably marginalize the Boost versions.

  --Beman