From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-11 22:48:00

At 02:17 PM 3/11/2004, Neal D. Becker wrote:

>> It is messy for directories on Windows. That's been the holdup. There
are
>> also some other Boost.Filesystem enhancements which have higher
priority.
>> So unless someone else wants to work up a proposed Windows
>> implementation, it won't happen anytime soon.
>>

>You mean no functions can be added to Boost::Filesystem unless they are
>supported on all systems? I'm surprised (and disappointed).

Portable behavior has always been major aim for the library. The criteria
has been that it should be possible to provide POSIX (including the MAC)
and Windows implementations which deliver the same behavior for practical
purposes.

That isn't hard to do with functionality like hard links which are present
in most modern operating systems, at least for regular files. But it takes
time to reconcile sometimes differing terminology, figure out exactly what
can be promised (and what can't be promised), specify the interface, and
write test cases and documentation. The actual implementation is often
trivial. Then watch the regression tests as they roll out on different
systems.

--Beman