From: Adal Chiriliuc (adal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-22 10:48:23

On Monday, March 22, 2004 Michael Glassford wrote:
> For what it's worth, the version of Boost.Thread in the thread_dev
> branch of CVS already uses a critical section when possible. As time
> allows, I'm planning to review the code in the thread_dev branch, ask
> for comments, finish anything that isn't finished, and move it to the
> main branch piece by piece. I'm currently doing this (very slowly, I'm
> afraid) for the thread_specific_ptr and related classes.

This file? Sorry, but I have little CVS experience.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/boost/boost/libs/thread/src/mutex.cpp
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/boost/boost/libs/thread/src/mutex.cpp?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.11.4.4

It does not do what I have suggested. try_mutex still uses a real
mutex instead of a CRITICAL_SECTION on Windows NT.

I did not suggest to use a CRITICAL_SECTION when not supporting the
trylock operation, this is already done. I suggested to check at
runtime the operating system version and choose the best option.

Adal Chiriliuc