From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-22 14:57:27

Gennaro Prota wrote:

> Currently, there are 16 config files in boost/config/compiler/ but we
> don't need so much macros immediately. So I just propose the following
> (other ones can be added on an "as needed" basis):
>
> BOOST_BORLAND
> BOOST_COMEAU
> BOOST_GNU (1)
> BOOST_INTEL
> BOOST_MSVC (2)
>
> ----
> Notes:
> (1) since the other macros employ the name of the producing company,
> rather than the name of the compiler, BOOST_GNU seems more consistent
> than BOOST_GCC (though, of course, GNU is not a "company")
> (2) this is inconsistent, but it already exists. Maybe
> BOOST_MICROSOFT, or BOOST_MS, could be provided as a synonym.

Personally I would prefer that they use the compiler name rather than the
developer name. This is to avoid possible future (and past) conflict for
companies that have more than one compiler.

(1) Not sure why you didn't consider BOOST_GNUC, as that reflects the internal
symbol so people should be familiar with it.

(2) For Boost.Build we are standardizing on "vc" instead of "msvc". So
BOOST_VC would be an option. It has the benefit of being shorter also ;-)

It doesn't seem to make sense to just do this for such a small subset though.
I would think we would want to make sure we at least define this for all the
compilers that we test with.

So at least adding: BOOST_CW (CodeWarrior)..

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything