From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-24 01:22:44

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:03:20PM +0100, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Are there a couple of examples showing real-life C++ problems that can
be
> solved with the help of FC++?

> The paper
> FC++: Functional Tools for OO Tasks
> on the FC++ web page talks about how to use FC++ in the implementation
> of common OO design patterns. The web page also points to the XR

and for all these patterns we already have different (much better IMO)
solutions.

> > help, within a normal C++ program. The quicksort example was very
cool, but it
> > turns out that the generated code is too slow to be used for
everything. If I
> > need FP everywhere, I change language.
> The quicksort example and also the tree iterator example I posted are
> interesting. I posit that there are cases where shorter/easier code
> may be more valuable than code that wins on raw performance, but
> perhaps this is too-unpopular an idea among C++ people.

Do you really beleave that quicksort could be an example that shows
usefullness of lazy lists? I don't say that raw performance sould be primary
goal, but an abstraction price should be commensurable to advantages.

And I still do not see a single example of that.

Gennadiy.