From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-30 05:20:47

Hello Rob, thank you for reviewing indexed_set.

Rob Stewart ha escrito:

[snipped stuffed not needing further comments]

> * Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?
>
> Yes, Boost should accept this library.

Fine! I'm glad you like the library. Thank you.

> ----------------------
> Documentation Issues.
>
> The main page mentions "STL-like indices," but I don't think of
> the Standard Library as providing indices, so this doesn't mean
> anything to me.

Well the meaning is that indices (italicized as the term is first
introduced) have STL-like characteristics. I'd be happy to rewrite this
in a cleaner way if only you provided me with a different wording.

> While it will complicate matters somewhat, I'd prefer to see the
> examples written as if "namespace is = boost::indexed_sets" (or
> similar) were in effect. That would highlight the functionality
> not already in namespace boost.

I don't quite get it. The docs are written as if the library is
already in Boost. Other tutorials in Boost also apply
the implicit using policy.

> "Lookup" is only one word when it is used as a noun. When used
> as a verb, it is spelled "look up."

Yep, right. Fixed, thank you.

> The initial discussion of "regular indices" in the tutorial gave
> me no idea what they were. Even after the example, I was left
> wondering what that "regular index" thing actually was. I didn't
> see anything called "regular index" in the example code. It
> wasn't until the "Index types" section that I find the definition
> of a "regular index."

I'm not sure what I could do to improve this part. Any specific
suggestion. I thought it'd be clear indices are wht one specifies
with unique<> etc.

> Your discussion of modify_key doesn't mention any impact on the
> Index Set should the new key change the sort order or violate a
> unique index.

OK. Added a phrase stating this. In case it wasn't clear to you,
modify_key has the same semantics as modify
(collision->element is erased).

> I didn't find the use of "far pointer" helpful. It connotes the
> pointer types germane to segmented memory architectures (old
> Intel, for example). Since the only thing you're trying to
> convey is that the pointer-like type indexed_set may see chains
> to another pointer-like type which may chain to yet another, ad
> infinitum, may I suggest "chained pointer" instead?

Pavel also hated the name for the same connotation problems.
Well, I'll add it to my list, will change it if I no one else
complains.

> Your "safe mode" name is inconsistent with the
> "invariant-checking mode." The latter clearly indicates what is
> being checked, whereas the other doesn't.

I retained the name "safe mode" because users are likely
familiar with the name as given in STLport.

> I expected that "safe
> mode" would be a superset, but it is orthogonal. How about
> naming it "precondition-checking mode?" A related issue is that
> you say that invariant-checking can be turned on separately from
> "safe mode" and that the former indicates an internal error.
> However, I don't see how you can assert that the failure to
> maintain an invariant is an internal error if you don't ensure
> the preconditions were met. IOW, shouldn't turning on
> invariant-checking mode imply turning on precondition-checking?

I'd like to give maximum flexibility to the user. Your reasoning
is correct, but then again you can follow your own advice in
your program and never enable invariant-checking without
enabling safe mode also. I guess you're for stricter enforcing
of this.

> In Debugging support:Invariant-checking mode, in the advanced
> topics page, you write:
>
> > It is recommended that users of Boost.IndexedSet always set the
> > invariant-checking mode. By default (i.e. if the user has not
> > provided a definition for BOOST_INDEXED_SET_INVARIANT_ASSERT),
> > this mode will not perform any check at all in NDEBUG builds,
> > but it does not have a significant impact in the compiled
> > binary either, so you need not set off invariant-checking for
> > release compilations.
>
> I have two questions. First, why is this information buried in
> the advanced topics page? The mode should be highlighted in the
> main documentation path.

I thought the tutorial was hard enough as it was and decided to
move all the non-essential stuff to a different page. Admittedly,
other topics covered in this section are really much more advanced.

> Second, if the overhead is so small,
> why not leave it on by default in all builds and then give users
> a means to disable it? Users can then decide whether to disable
> it in all builds or only release builds.

I think I'll remove this piece of advice: invariant-checking can be
left on in release builds, but it won't do anything unless
BOOST_INDEXED_SET_INVARIANT_ASSERT has been
defined by the user). To sum it up, it's a pretty useless recommendation:
withouth redefining the assert macro, users won't get anything by
leaving the mode set on in release mode.

> Both the tutorial and the advanced topics pages claim
> indexed_set's simulation of std::set, for example, is as
> efficient as the real thing, yet the performance page shows a
> 10-20% overhead. You should qualify your claims of equal
> performance such that you say indexed_set has "nearly" as good
> performance.

You're right. Added the "nearly" qualifier in the tutorial bit.
In the advanced topics section, the efficient is said to be
"comparable", which is IMHO fair enough.

> ----------------------
> Naming Issues.
>
> I, too, find "mix" too cute, so "multi_container" is better, but
> that is rather indicative of implementation and doesn't clearly
> convey the idea of multiply indexing data. Thus, I'm in favor
> of "multi_index," but the most recent "multi-index container"
> notion may be the best course to remove all confusion.
>
> I don't like the "non_unique" stuff. I wonder whether it could
> be dropped altogether, leaving "unique" as a modifier when that
> property is present. Otherwise, how about "dup" (short for
> duplicate, in case it wasn't obvious) as a modifier? (You could
> also use "multi" to mirror the idea behind multiset and
> multimap.)

I don't like the idea of having "_unique" and no counterpart
for non-unique indices (this was discussed here months ago,
and the (IMHO correct) conclusion is that both variants
should have a qualifying suffix. I'm for descriptive names,
so dup seems just too obscure. non_unique resonates well
with people into RDBMS stuff.

> I think that "get<>" should be named "get_index<>" as that it
> will read better in use:
>
> ... = es.get_index<1>();
>
> "member" and "const_mem_fun" seem to overlap based soley on the
> names. I suggest that "member" be renamed "data_member" to avoid
> confusion regarding the use of "member" to invoke a member
> function.

Thanks for all comments regarding naming. I'll try to balance everybody's
opinions and come up with some final proposal to post to the list.
get_index<> I like, though get<> was chosen for sympathy with Boost.Tuple
(similar names for similar concepts.)

[...]

> ----------------------
> Design Issues
>
> I don't really like that index 0 is the default behavior. I'd
> rather an Index Set not behave like any of its indexes. Yes that
> means you must say get(_index)<0>() when you want the first
> index, but I like the idea of that being explicit. There's no
> opportunity to change a typedef from std::list, for example, to
> boost::indexed_set and silently use the wrong index or silently
> change the complexities. I don't see indexed_set as a drop-in
> replacement for existing types, so I don't want it to be easy to
> do that.

Darren also disliked this approach. To me it has some value:
in a sense, the first index is treated as the primary one (which
in many situations really is). Put another way, what disadvantages
do you find in having the default behavior?

> I don't like the assymmetry between get<> and the pair
> nth_indexed_type<> and indexed_type<>. I'd prefer that
> indexed_type<> be used, like get<>, for either a number or a tag.

I'd prefer it also, but AFAIK it cannot be done. You just cannot
"overload" a template to accept type and non-type arguments.

> Why does tag<> accept multiple "names?" Is there a motivating
> example for why a single name isn't sufficient? I ask because
> the class is more complicated than it otherwise needs to be.
> That translates into more documentation to explain it and longer
> -- by however much -- compilation times.

No movitating example that I know of. It was implemented like that
cause having multiple tags was no harder than having just one.

> Documentation Nitpicks

[...]

Man, you did a *thorough* proofreading. Thanks so much for the
nitpicking, I'll validate and apply your changes.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo