From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-31 15:30:05

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:39:18 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Dave, is there a boost policy about these sorts of things?
>
> No.

I want to explain something: I doubt there are any changes to C++
front-end compiler. Of course, there are some critical fixes (like
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=320739 "FIX: No error
generated when accessing non-static member in static function"), but
there won't be any better conformance with standard. MSVC6 is an old
compiler, older than C++ standard, and its conformance with standard is
not going to get any better.

I did not checked that with MS folks, above statement is just result of
my examination of fixes list. Of course there might be more fixes than
those listed (this is nature of service packs), but as there are very
few related to front-end, I doubt they did any serious changes in this
part of MSVC6.

Anyway I believe that boost will compile the same way on MSVC6 with SP6
as it was with SP5 - old errors will stay, hopefully there won't be new
ones. What actually SP6 is going to improve is to remove bugs from
runtime library and back-end (plus removing some other bugs in IDE).

B.