From: Benjamin Kosnik (bkoz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-01 03:10:07

Hi Rene

>Not with the current build procedure. This is intentional as we can't rely on,
>or assume, that the user has only one compiler in use. Or that they only want
>a specific variant, threading, runtime, etc. The hope is that system packagers
>provide for that.

Hmm. I am a system packager, thanks for your insights.

I don't see a way to just get binaries with names like BOOST_LIB_PREFIX,
intead of BOOST_LIB_PREFIX + "-" BOOST_LIB_TOOLSET "-" +
BOOST_LIB_VERSION.

Renaming at install time (which all the linux packagers are doing) is
fine for static libs, but for shared libs the odd names are compiled
into the SONAME, which is a problem. I can either edit the binary file
(!) or just compile with the names I use. Obviously, it would be simpler
to hack the build process.

Is there a hack or (better) a clean way to force the naming convention,
at compile time?

best,
benjamin