From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-02 05:39:20

> A trait is a part of the definition of an entity.

That's right.

> A policy is applied to an entity to modify a trait or traits of the
entity.

I think in this case mixure of terms is only misleading. What trait does
checking policy modify CheckingPolicy in SmartPointer? I would just say: "A
policy is applied to an entity to modify it". It could modify it's
defintion, behavior, both, e.t.c.

> Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (abbreviated)
> "
> Policy

> 5. A course of action adopted and pursued by a government, party, ruler or
> statesman, etc; any course of action adopted as advantageous or expedient.
> (The chief living sense). (Late midle english).

This looks like most close.

> Trait

> 4. A distinguishing quality; a characteristic 1752.

This looks like most close.

> regards
>
> Andy Little

Gennadiy