From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-06 11:58:05

In article <001b01c41bdb$9882c030$8119fea9_at_FDI.LOCAL>,
 "Dale Peakall" <dale_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I have to agree. Programs should internally work in terms of
> fixed-width character sets. When string data needs to be imported/
> exported locales should be used to perform the transformation.

The only fixed-width Unicode character sets are 32 bits wide; UTF-16 is not
fixed width, it's only fixed width most of the time. You will have a hard time
convincing me (and most other people, as far as I know) that it's a good idea
for all of your strings to take 4x as much space as they need.

A fixed-width character set is a win mainly when you are doing character-level
manipulation, which isn't very common in any properly internationalized app
because internationalized apps read most of their strings from a table and use
only concatenation (where sprintf/boost::format are considered little more than
concatenation) to produce new strings. If all you are doing is concatenation,
you don't care about fixed-width characters.

That is not to say that fixed-width character sets don't have their uses, but it
is not at all as simple as "you should use them all the time".

meeroh