From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-06 22:01:26

> > > On the other hand policy is something that is orthogonal to the
> > > primary type (actually in policy based design there may not be any
> > > primary type, but just an orthogonal policies), IOW you could use
> > > different policies in conjunction with the same type. And natural
> > > place for the policy is along with type in component definition among
> > > the template parameters.
> >
> > You seem to be arguing that
> >
> > template<typename T, typename U = traits<T> >
> > class Foo { };
> >
> > is wrong because it blurs the distinction between traits and policies. I
>
> I think Gennadiy would agree that this is fine because U is a
> policy template parameter defined to use at least a subset of
> traits' interface.

I agree. It may even theoretically be possible that Foo uses U interface
that has nothing to do with trait<T> being the trait.
But! It would make me very wary. Even though I admit above is possible, in
most cases it's sign of incorrect design.

> If U isn't well-defined and traits becomes
> the definition of U, even though Foo doesn't use all of traits'
> interface, then the design of Foo is poor. That would seem to be
> the case with std::basic_string and std::char_traits. I haven't
> looked at the implementation with this in mind, but I'm guessing
> that std::basic_string doesn't use all of std::char_traits
> interface, and yet the "traits" parameter of std::basic_string
> isn't defined separately.

I am not sure where you going with "doesn't use all of std::char_traits"
IMO it does not matter which part if char_traits interface basic_string is
using.. In any case it should've referred to it by name and not through
template parameter.

> > say "so what?" If the problem is best solved by blurring these ideas,
> > blur away. No one seems to have yet been able to define "traits" and
> > "policies" very well anyway, so what are we blurring?
>
> *If* there is value, as I of course think there is, in
> maintaining a distinction for accuracy in discourse, then we're
> needlessly combining separate notions. If few think the
> distinction is important, then we should simply choose one or the
> other term to avoid confusion.
>
> > On 1/3/2004, you wrote
> >
> > > I've expressed my opinion in the matter before: Traits - as name
> > > suggest could not be policy. IOW should not be template parameters.
> > > Traits are type specific and an ability to supply them independently
> > > to the primary type in most cases leads to invalid/too complicated
> > > design.
> >
> > The way I read this, your use of "most cases" means you agree there are
> > some cases where the above use of traits passed into a template is
> > justified and acceptable. This seems to contradict the idea above that
> > traits can never be used this way. Can you clarify please?
>
> If an existing traits class provides (at least) the interface
> needed for a template's policy class, then using the traits class
> as that policy should be fine. The fact that the template
> parameter is a policy means that the template is allowing for
> other implementations of that interface. That doesn't make the
> traits class any less the one definition of those traits. Put
> another way, any other classes implemented to be used as the
> template's policy argument won't be used as traits; they'll only
> be used as the template's arguments.
>
> The distinction provides some clarity when using the phrases
> "traits class" or "policy class." When someone says "policy
> class," you immediately know that they mean something passed as a
> template argument or the template parameter used within the
> template to effect behavioral changes. When someone says "traits
> class," you immediately know that they mean something
> customizable for each distinct type, but not for each template
> wishing to use it. Those are quite different things and
> disambiguiating them via different names is sensible.

Very true.

Gennadiy.