From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-07 01:17:59

Kevin Wheatley wrote:

> I also disagree with your size doesn't matter, we generally don't run
> *users* machines with less than 2GB RAM, and over half a TB disk, but
> if every feature we added to our code added 200K for something as
> small as options parsing we'd be avoiding it due to the fact that when
> you scale that up to hundreds of machines accessing a server that
> could easily eat a good percentage of the bandwidth even over Gig-E.

I have only too points to add:

1. The "as small as options parsing" phrase above is very much to the point.
A user will readily agree with 200K for domain-specific library which might
allows to write his application ten time faster and with ten time less
bugs. But options parsing is minor functionality, so the requirements are
much stricter.

2. Yes, 200K is not much compared to 2GB of RAM, but you also need to
download those 200K. Besides, if the library is used by more than one
command line tool, you multiply 200K by the number of programs.

- Volodya