From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-13 02:51:02

David Abrahams wrote:

> Miro Jurisic <macdev_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> I don't agree with the statement that ICU "provides all or most of the
>> Unicode support that would be desired in Boost or the C++ standard
>> library",

> Semantic details of the statement aside, I do hope somebody or
> somebodies tackle the problem. As has been made extra-obvious here
> recently, there are more issues with unicode and internationalization
> than most of us can grasp, and the only way I'm going to be effective
> with Unicode is if I have an effective library with the right
> abstractions.

Oh, in fact we did not even touched internationalization. It a separate
nontrivial issue and, btw, while Jeremy says existing std::locale is not
exactly good for Unicode, the same can be said about standard 'messages'
locale facet. Since it requires integer ids for messages, I'd rather stick
to GNU gettext (not to mention I was never able to figure out how to make
the 'messages' facet work :-( )

- Volodya