From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-14 02:58:59

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:37:29AM +1000, Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> "Jeremy Maitin-Shepard" <jbms_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> writes:
> [snip]
> > > 5) Begin to add locale support - a big job, probably a few facets at a
> > > time.
> >
> > The issue is that, despite what you say, most or all of the standard
> > library facets are not suitable for use with Unicode strings. For
> > instance, the character classification and toupper-like operations need
> > not be tied to a locale.
>
> The new string algorithms to_upper etc do support locales.

They do, however, the algorithm only operates on per-character basis. This discussion
about the unicode goes far beyond what is possible to achieve by using std locales.

Anyway, if there will be a proper unicode support provided in boost, I see no problem
with the adaptation of string algorithms to make use of it.

Regards,

Pavol