From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-14 12:48:48

David Abrahams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering if the deafening silence indicates a lack of
> interest or whether something else is going on?
> Feedback would be appreciated.

Dave,

I'd like to try using this in the auto_new class I mentioned
a while back:

   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1862884

The code in boost-sandbox/libs/move/test/move_test.cpp, especially
at line 162 containing:

    moveable_string sink(source());

looks like what I'd like to do with auto_new only instead of
a moveable_string sink aond source(), there would be something
like:

   smart_ptr<T,cyclic_ref_count<_> > sink(auto_new(T,a0,a1,...,an));

However, I haven't had time to investigate your code to see if I
could use it for this purpose. As it is, I've "rolled my own"
variation of the auto_ptr and auto_ptr_ref classes to handle the
problem, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting smart_ptr::release
and smart_ptr::reset to work.

I'll be happy to post the code if you want to see what you can do;
however, I'll have to warn you that the code will take some time
to decipher.