From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-16 08:53:56

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:43:36 +0200
Michiel Salters <michiel.salters_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether this can be generalized. Basically, I imagine a
> class "virtually" holding objects of some type T, with the restriction
> that it may not hold more than N actual objects of type T, and holds
> data<T> objects to create the other objects. You'd have a policy<T>
> which would create a T from a data<T> and later destroy it.
> The assumption is that a data<T> would be a lot cheaper than an
> actual T.

Thanks, Michiel!

Great idea, and one that may be more beneficial to the masses.
Currently, I implement a lru_cache, but it is specific. I believe just
a little work would make it more generic, as you suggest (I kinda have
that as I allow using FILE* or int - handling each specially, but having
a policy manage those would make it very generic).

I'll see if I can make some time over the weekend to work on it (between
my son's baseball, and all the spring yardwork -- which includes moving
ANOTHER 5 tons of pea gravel, wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow).

--
Jody Hagins