From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-16 10:42:28

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Li Lirong wrote:
> >
> >> According to the documentation of boost.python,
> >> one can derive from c++ base class in Python and override the virtual
> >> functions in Python. However, is it possible to serialize the objects
> >> of the python class using the serialization library?
>
> Why would you do that when you can use pickle?

It would be nice to have an automatic mechanism for serializing the wrapped C++
objects. As it stands I have to manually define the pickle support for each
wrapped C++ type.

In practice it is not a big deal, though, at least not with my usage patterns.
Most of my wrapped types are never pickled. The only major effort was to
implement efficient pickling of large arrays.

Going off on a tangent: does the boost serialization library have support for
portable serialization of large arrays (e.g. std::vector<double>)?

Ralf