From: Giovanni Bajo (giovannibajo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-20 11:00:35

Neal D. Becker wrote:

> gcc-3.4 doesn't seem to like boost iterator adaptor stuff, in
> particular. Also lambda.

Weird, I think I could compile most of those libraries without big problems.
Any single test which reliably fails with 3.4.0?

> Many errors are of this nature:
> src/c_to_r.hpp:83: error: there are no arguments to `base_reference'
> that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of
> `base_reference' must be available

GCC 3.4.0 implements two-stage name lookup, which is not found in previous
versions of GCC or MSVC 71 (that happens to be de-fact standard for Boost
development). One of the net results is that names in dependent bases are not
inspected during unqualified name lookup in templates. I suggest you review
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html for more infos. In my experience,
libraries which were previously compiled with an EDG compiler (Comeau / Intel)
have almost no problems, while libraries developed only with MSVC, CW, or GCC
need to be fixed.

I'm more than willing to help fixing Boost wrt GCC 3.4.0, and analyzing bugs in
GCC itself which might be discovered in the process. Feel free to contact me on
this regard.

--
Giovanni Bajo