From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-22 09:03:00

"Jody Hagins" <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> wrote

> > There are two problems I can see here. One is related to getting a
> > unique integer (what I am using __COUNTER__ for). I am trying to
> > figure out the portable way of doing this (Paul just showed me
> > something I think can work). Second -- registration is a
> > specialization, and so has to be done out of global namespace (to get
> > into the required namespace). This is also inconvenient.
>

> For what do you need the unique integer (i.e., what does it buy you)?
> Will it be used as an integral constant template parameter, or as a key
> during runtime, or what?

Integral constant. Each class/template can be assigned a unique integer
constant, so that the whole class (template tree) can be encoded into an
mpl::vector_c (or similar), to be later decoded into the original type.
Everything is done at compile time (as you would expect with typeof).

Regards,
Arkadiy