From: Tom Brinkman (reportbase_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-23 02:04:49
Assignment Library Review Result
Thanks to Thorsten Otteson for creating the Assignment
* Participation by boost members in the review was
minimal, but the comments were
* Considering that library is relatively small and the
scope is fairly limited, less than normal review
participation by boost members is to be expected.
* The basic functionality of the library relieves the
c++ developer from typing
redundent c++ code for inserting/appending hard-coded
data into containers.
* Some issues about how the library is organized
remain, but are easily resolved by seperating
the headers and removing global dependencies.
* There are many issues regarding the advanced
functionality of this library that were
not resolved during the review period. An additional
review period should be provided
to discuss advanced/optimized techniques for container
* The name of the library should be changed. The name
'Assignment' does not fully
describe the functionality of this library and could
This library should be accpeted into boost under the
1) Add a header file for each wrapped stl container.
One header file containing
all of the commonly used headers should also be
2) Remove the global += operator.
3) Rename routines to reflect whether they are
initializing, appending or inserting data.
4) Move all routines that extend boost libraries to
the examples folder.
5) Documentation should broken up into a basic section
and advanced section.
6) Documentation should add a short description about
the advantages and disadvantage
of each method provided by the library.
7) The library needs to add a boost test file.
8) Routines provided by the Assignment library having
boost dependencies will
require additional discussion during the post review
9) Basic library useage should not require any boost
outside of the boost::asignment library headers
10) The techniques provided in the basic functionality
of the library may not be optimal.
Consideration of techniques for advanced generalized
container initialization should
be made. A post review period will be required to
address advanced library useage.
Thanks again and congratulations to Thorsten Otteson
a useful set of routines for the boost community.
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25¢
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk