From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-23 10:50:05

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:12:27 +0200, Daniel Krügler wrote:
> Reference linking is really great stuff in (single-thread) theory, but
> unfortunatly it seems to have lots of difficulties in mt world. (At

why are we trying to built thread-safety into shared_ptr? There is good
saying that drove C++ to the point where we are right now: "do not pay
for what you do not use". If I'm willing to provide own synchronization
for shared pointers, or use it in single-threaded env, why would I need
to pay extra heap allocation to make it play nice in mt world? Moreover,
if I'm willing to use shared_ptr in mt env. and use its synchronization
features, it does not provide synch. for pointee anyway. Thus I still
need to provide my own synchroniozation to protect state of pointee.

B.