From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-25 08:43:00

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:55:21 +0200, Pavel Vozenilek wrote
> "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > If serialization is
> > accepted users people will ask me and other library authors to provide
> > serialization support for some of the types in their libraries.
> >
> It should be considered where to put all such code.

Yep.

> 'boost/serialization/boost' directoy could be used for all
> Boost libraries. One place is better than to have bits
> scattered accross source tree.

Well, I think it belongs in the library supplying the data type not in
serialization. Few reasons for this...
1) I don't want serialization depending on every library in boost -- the other
way around makes more sense.
2) 'User' serialization code should be located with the types being
serialized. Point is that if the type internals change, maintenance may be
required. If the serialization code is off in some other directory it is easy
to forget. This also should be the way non-boost code is done -- we should
show the way.
3) If the developer chooses to add serialization internally in their class
then the code has to be in the client library. I don't think we should force
boost developers to use the external serialization like I posted.

So for the particular case I posted I was planning on putting this code in
 boost/date_time/gregorian/greg_serialize.hpp

Time could would go into
 boost/date_time/posix_time/time_serialize.hpp

Jeff