From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-28 10:44:38

Vladimir Prus wrote:

>Hi John,
>

>>Dear boosters,
>>
>>Since most of us use some sort of logging, I've developed a free program
>>that allows simple viewing/filtering of log files (for Windows).
>>

>I wonder if you've seen Chainsaw
>
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
>
>and plan to compete with it or fix some weaknesses of it, or something else?

I wasn't aware of it. Anyway, I've downloaded and tested it.
(installing was quite hard, it took me a while)

Anyway, this is very log4j specific. I see that it has some receivers,
but I'm not sure how they work.
The only one I tested was LogFilePatternReceiver but it seems static. If
I append to a certain file, I need to do a manual refresh of all
receivers, which is pretty annoying. Also, noticed a lot of bugs and
expressions did not work. As far as I saw, it can only show up to
7000-8000 messages at a time, which is pretty small for me.

The program I developed IMO is
- very user-friendly, easy to use
- handles files any size (in the future I'll work on adding aggressive
caching to support ~1Gb logs)
- very fast
- expressions work ;)
- works with any log files. Just drag-and-drop them into the program

Best,
John