From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-28 10:22:17

Eric Niebler wrote:

> Forgive the possibly naive question -- I have never used the
> serialization library, but I have used MFC serialization. I am curious
> if the boost serialization library can be made backwards-compatible
> with MFC serialization; that is, if I have an old application that
> uses MFC serialization, would it be possible to switch to the boost
> serialization library and still have the ability to read old (MFC)
> archives?
>
> I'd like to know:
> - if it's possible
> - how hard it would be (would it require reverse-engineering the
> MFC archive format? is that format stable? documented?)
> - what the advantages of switching are

The easiest way to switch from MFC (or any other systems is to do the
following):

a) add boost serialization to your code.
b) when you open an archive - currently MFC, use code like the following:

open stream
read the first part of the stream
if doesn't contain a boost serialization signature
        invoke MFC de-serialization
else
        invoke boost de-serialization.

c) when you save an archive - just invoke boost serialization.

In this way, all your old files will be compatible and will gradually be
converted to the new system. The new archives can use all the new
facilities without compromise.

This is much easier, and forward looking than trying to adapt to an old
format wich likely isn't rich enough to support the new facilities.

Robert Ramey