From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-06 05:04:29

Walter Landry wrote:
[...]
> The GPL has very clear terms for how I can make copies of derived
> works. One of those terms is that the complete derived work doesn't
> have any additional restrictions above what the GPL has.

You don't seem to grasp the meaning of derivative work under the
copyright law. A compilation is not a derivative work. Legally,
compiled and linked binary is just another form of the corresponding
complete source tarball (or whatever). Library dependency doesn't
make dependent code derivative of the libary code no matter whether
that library is some template stuff or not. Use of templates and/or
static/dynamic linking does not constitues creation of derivative
work. The resulting aggregation is a compilation with respect to
its components, not a derivative. Mere aggregation, you know.

regards,
alexander.

--
http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/125_F3d_580.htm