From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-12 06:28:18

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:56:49PM +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> John Maddock wrote:
> > It looks as though _GLIBCXX_HAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT is defined by the std lib
> > when it's in thread safe mode, so I'm leaning towards adding:
> >
> > #ifdef __GLIBCXX__ // gcc 3.4 and greater:
> > #ifdef _GLIBCXX_HAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT
> > #define BOOST_HAS_THREADS
> > #else
> > #define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS
> > #endif
> > #endif
> >
> > To our libstdcpp3.hpp config file, which I think will take care of it,
> > albeit not in a way that everyone will appreciate (it will force threading
> > on whenever the std lib is also thread safe).
>
> Ehm... I don't think Linux has single-threaded and multi-threaded versions of
> libstdc++ -- there's only one library installed and it's sure will be
> multi-threaded.

That's the default - but it is possible to configure the library without
thread-safety (use --disable-threads or --enable-threads=single when
compiling/configuring the library) in which case neither _REENTRANT nor
_GLIBCXX_HAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT will be defined, and John's suggestion works.

I'm in the middle of writing a longer reply. I think Boost's current
configuration for GCC 3.4 will fail if libstdc++ is configured with
non-default options or on platforms that don't use pthreads.

> So, for single threaded builds
> 1. Boost will think it's MT build and call pthread_* functions.
> 2. Toolset won't add '-pthread' to linker command line
>
> Bottom like: you'll get link failures for single-thread builds.

That's the current situation anyway, for GCC 3.4

Boost interprets _REENTRANT as meaning you're compiling a multithreaded
app, but in 3.4 _REENTRANT is defined unconditionally if the compiler's
thread model is "posix" (which you can see in the output of "gcc -v")

jon

--
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
 always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can