From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-20 10:19:17

"Giovanni Bajo" <giovannibajo_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David B. Held wrote:
>
>>> Well, I guess this answer is: it depends. If you're already
>>> supporting MSVC 6.0, then probably the work needed to
>>> extend it to MSVC 7.0 is reasonably low.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Well, I'd like to drop support for 6.x as well. ;) Then it seems to
>> me that there is little reason to support 7.0.
>
> Especially since the command line version of MSVC 7.1 is now available as a
> free legal download.

I don't mean to make an argument in favor of supporting vc6 (I am
agnostic on that point), but I should point out that the free
availability of vc7.1 makes *no* difference for those people whose
organizations don't permit them to upgrade. That said, there are
fewer and fewer of those as time goes on.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting