From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-22 12:50:47

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:18:41 -0400, David Abrahams wrote
> > I like the idea of specifying the test level (basic, torture, concept).
>
> I am opposed to the idea of requiring humans to initiate the right
> tests, at least without proof that mechanically-initiated tests are
> unworkable. I don't think we've proven that yes.

They shouldn't be human initiated -- just configured to one level or another.
 Now obviously a human would need to intervene to reset the level, but that
would only be in the case of ramping up to release, adding a new library,
adding a new compiler, or a specific author request. I believe this would be
rather infrequent.

Basically, right now we have no way of setting up a Jamfile that can satisfy
the need to have full up tests for new compilers, etc and a basic set of quick
tests...short of replacing the Jamfile all the time.

Jeff