From: John Nagle (nagle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-24 21:48:58

    Me too. Thanks.

    The counted string vs. null terminated string issue
turns out to be complicated. If you use only
null terminated strings, appending a char to a
string becomes very expensive, and "end()" is
expensive to evaluate. If you use only counted
strings, the interaction with subscripting is
non-obvious. If you store a null, what happens?
Are you allowed to store beyond the current length
in use? Mixing C string and <string> semantics
is messy. I ended up with a lazy evaluation scheme.

                                John Nagle
                                Team Overbot