From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-27 12:44:54

Eric Niebler wrote:

> There is another solution. Give rules value semantics by default as I
> suggest, but require people to use special syntax to get reference
> semantics.

I hate replying to myself. ;-) I realize this doesn't give true value
semantics. A rule which refers to itself (that is, it indirectly stores
a pointer to itself) cannot be copied around and put inside containers
and whatnot. Then I thought that it could be solved with an extra layer
of indirection -- shared_ptr to a shared_ptr (ugh!) but then you have
problems with cyclic references. Hence Joel's comment about garbage
collection -- he's probably been through this thought process before.

I think I need to think it out again.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting