From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-27 18:32:18

Brian Braatz wrote:
> Hmm.. (spent some hours doing some more digging on this). I write a
> managed app, yet my dtor is called.. ok, so this is not a question for
> boost. I have not been able able to find anything in the MS docs as to
> "why" RAII is working managed, this goes against everything I have
> heard\understood.

For a managed class your dtor is called when the object is garbage
collected, since that is when it is destroyed. For an unmanaged class it is
the normal case of the dtor being called immediately whenever the object is
destroyed, either through a delete in dynamic memory or the object going out
of scope in non-dynamic memory.

There is nothing mysterious about this in .NET. The difference is that
garbage collection is not deterministic destruction, and mya run at any
time.