From: Trey Jackson (tjackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-01 11:24:42

>Some of the software I develop deals with different types of analysis
>(such as scientific and financial). The runs can take as much as 20
>hours to complete. If I do nothing but change to link with dynamic
>RTL, the run time is increased on average of 35%. This means and
>additional 7 hours of run time! So dynamic RTL is really undesirable.

You didn't mention what OS/compiler you are using.

We've found that (on Linux with gcc) there is a difference in run-time
between shared library with -fpic turned on, and static libraries.
However, when we do not compile with -fpic, the difference goes away.

According to some posts on gcc, -fpic is not needed on Linux, as the
loader takes care of the translation. It can increase memory usage,
and will increase application load time, but it will work:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-06/msg00814.html

Our speed ups are not always on the order of 35%, but we have reached
that at times.

Perhaps trying a build without -fpic, but still shared will show you
the same benefit. If that's the case, then we might not need a
different release of the Threads library.

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
tjackson_at_[hidden]