From: Peter Danford (pdanford_qed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-01 21:44:28

I'm not sure other than the reasons regarding optimizations possible with statically linked libs. I know that there is also some overhead involved in calling dll functions as opposed to the static counterpart, but this surely is a small cost. Other than that, I am not sure.

I am very glad to hear that you are working on the static problem though. The latest checkout from thread_dev branch revealed the use of thread specific storage in thread.cpp, so it looks like the latest work there may be making it more difficult to make a static subset...

Peter

Michael Glassford <glassfordm_at_[hidden]> wrote:
I'm working on supporting static linking in Boost.Threads.

Have you determined why the statically linked version runs so much
faster?

Mike