From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-04 10:10:03

"Neal D. Becker" <ndbecker2_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Tom Brinkman <reportbase_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>>> In short, lets tell the world that this is the
>>> premiere place for advanced mathmatical library
>>> development, as I believe that it could be.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> 1. I think oonumerics.org has the jump on us here, though the site
>> seems to be douwn at this moment.
>>
>> 2. I will be starting work on a rewrite of MTL (the Matrix
>> Template Library) for linear algebra soon.
>>

> What do you plan for MTL? How is it different than ublas?

MTL is aimed at linear algebra, whereas IIUC ublas is not.

There's a lot more to what's in the current plan than I can lay out
here, but the focus will be on support for different kinds of matrices
with combinations of these aspects

      o Shape
      o Orientation
      o Symmetry
      o Sparsity
      o Blocking
      o Upper / Lower storage
      o Unit diagonal
      o Etc.

and operations like:

      o scalar-vector (vector-scalar) multiplication
      o vector addition (and subtraction)
      o apply linear operator (left)
      o norm
      o inner product
      o triangular solve

with expression templates, and of course, zero abstraction penalty ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting