From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-05 19:46:54

"Pavol Droba" <droba_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:16:17AM -0400, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For long time in my daytime projects I was using my class token_iterator
> > designed based on old iterator_adaptor design (adopted for old
compilers).
> > Now when need arose for such functionality in Boost.Test. I looked in
> > direction of boost::token_iterator. After some struggle I end up
adopting my
> > version to new design. Here some of comments and issues that made me
opt
> > so.
> >

> [snip]
>
> This might seem a little bit out of topic, but some of the points you have
addressed
> are already solved by find/split_iterator provided in the string algo
library.
> Maybe you can have a look there. Unfortunately, the documentation is not
100% ready yet.

Looks like I was not able to express myself clearly in original post. But
actually what you suggesting is especially what I was arguing *against*.

1. Your library is dedicated to string algorithms. Why is it use range if
iterators so frequently then? As an input and an output. I did found that
having range of it iterators as a model of substring is very convenient.
That what my basic_cstring is used for (actually, I may say that in my
development this is single most widely used class). But it is full-fledged
string as good as std::basic_string. And it does not based in iterators, but
on character type.
   Iterator range does may be usable, BUT outside of string algo library.

2. Finder concept maybe useful in implementing different string search
algorithm. BUT as implementation detail or generic case solution. I do not
see any reason for interface that assumes explicit specification of finders
provided by the library. There should be a generic algorithm/iterator that
expect User defined finder, but there should be explicit
algorithms/iterators dedicated for each type of search. I do that for
algorithms, why not for iterators?

> find_iterator is also based on generic iterator concept, however, the
iterator is the only
> template parameter, so you can easily specialize for string.

Actually when I work with strings I do not want to know about iterators at
all.

> Simple usage looks like this:

In fact from your sources it seems that I have to write like this

boost::split_iterator<std::string::iterator> it( str.begin(), str.end(),
boost::token_finder(boost::is_any_of(";,"));

IMO it's way to verbose, while still missing some of the functionality
provided by the tokenizer library.

My choice:

boost::token_iterator it( str, boost::dropped_delimiters = ";," );

This looks shorter and clearer IMO.

Second concern about your solution, that makes it in a sense even worse than
the one provided by boost::tokenizer, is that you actually does not specify
type of the Finder in the iterator specification. The price is that
eventually you have to, this way or another, pay with runtime overhead. This
would be unacceptable to me.

There are couple of things that your solution provide in addition to what my
and boost::tokenizer solution provide. Particularly it's an ability to
specify several addition delimitation policies. I thought about this. But
it isn't on top of my priorities (mostly because it is comparatively rarely
needed). In any case this generic solution should not interfere with most
convenient one used in majority of the cases.

Regards,

Gennadiy.