From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-12 11:11:06

|-----Original Message-----
On Behalf |Of Tom Brinkman
|Sent: 03 June 2004 00:54
|To: boost_at_[hidden]
|Subject: [boost] Boost Mathematicians

|What is the current status of all Boost mathmatical,
|statistical and econometric libraries currently in
|development?

|The collection of boost math libraries that are
|currently included in the library are world-class and
|provide a wonderful foundation to build-upon.

|However, many areas of advanced statistical and
|mathmatical inference are not currently being
\addressed by any of the boost libraries.

I have been off-line for some time, but have now caught up with this
discussion a bit.

Strongly support your views and need these things yesterday ;-)

Apart from messing about with Microsoft Windows problems, I have been
preparing a formal proposal for C and C++ Standard Library TR-2 of a list of
Math 'Special' Functions (additional to those from Walter Brown which have
been accepted into TR-1).

This list will include all the usual statistical suspects - including
Student's t, Chi sqr, and F, so that at last it will be possible easily
write C++ to provide the probability that means of two series of
measurements differ. (The key function is the incomplete beta; it is also
the most difficult to write well).

Fortunately I have persuaded Stephen Moshier, author of the Cephes function
library (in C) to make this available under Boost licence terms.

So implementors will have no excuse to hide behind (the reason why these
functions were omitted by Walter Brown). It should be possible to produce a
working (and I believe rather good) implementation with little more than
renaming the functions. This might be submitted for a Boost library.

I hope to expose a revised draft to the rigours of Boost and C++.std
newsgroup Real Soon Now.

Paul

Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal UK LA8 8AB