From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-17 06:11:48

Janusz Piwowarski wrote:

> I attach a patch that allows use of program_options with mingw compiler.
> There isn't support for utf-8 conversion - maybe it is possible to convert
> without use of wstring?

Hi Janusz,
thanks for the patch!

I planned to do something like that, but got swamped in other things.

I have only one question: why do we need the following:

- to_internal(detail::make_vector(argv+1, argv+argc)))
+ to_internal(detail::make_vector<charT, charT**>(argv+1, argv+argc)))

Is it a bug in mingw's gcc?

As for converting from/to utf8 without wstring, I guess it's possible, but
outside program_options. If wchar_t is not really supported, then:

1. You can't use wide parsers
2. You can't pass wchar_t to program_options

So, essentially, it's only possible to use some external wchar_t -> utf-8
converter and pass the resulting 8-bit string to program_options.

Thanks,
Volodya