From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-27 22:25:47

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>

>>I'd like to know the reasons for "all the sudden rush". We did
>>announce a schedule long ago, and it has already been delayed by three
>>weeks. I'm not asking in order to point fingers; I just want to know
>>how to avoid the "sudden rush" next time.
>

> Here is the current scenario.
>
> a) The announcement gets posted - release 1.32 scheduled for date x.
> b) Each developer decides - uh oh I better get in my changes before date x.
> c) Of course these changes take longer
> d) and break some other things
> e) which takes longer still
>
> Personally I think the concept of scheduling a release fundamentally flawed.
> I would suggest another idea.

As an observer, I'm fairly impressed with GCC's release methodology.
http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html

A critical component is a schedule that includes several stages during
which certain sorts of changes are unacceptable.

There's still rush, but most of the rush for major features or other
destabilizing elements happens long before the release comes around.

Aaron W. LaFramboise