From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-28 15:20:40

David Abrahams wrote:
> Schedule
>
> Development on our main branch will proceed in three stages. Each
> stage will be two months in length.
>
> Stage 1
>
> During this period,
> changes of any nature may be made to the compiler.
>
> I think they are willing to destabilize the main trunk at least
> during stage 1.

It's worth pointing out that actual breakage itself is never allowed.
All patches must pass regression testing before they can be committed,
even in Stage 1. Very rarely is a patch accepted which causes a
regression or other failure. Also, it is never ever acceptable for a
patch to be committed that breaks bootstrap or some other major
functionality, as seems to happen occasionally with Boost, as this
prevents actual work or testing from happening.

The previous sorts of broken code are what branches are for.

The destablization allowed in stage 1 is primarily code which passes the
regression tests, but is so large or intrusive that there are almost
certainly unknown significant bugs or unforeseen problems.

Aaron W. LaFramboise