From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-30 07:05:05

John Maddock wrote:

> > BTW, I was told that if boost/config.hpp is included before any system
> > headers, it will still be able to use _REENTRANT to detect if -pthread
> > was specified on the command line.
>
> Yep, but if -pthread is specified on the command line, then presumably the
> user really does want thread safe code :-)

Right. The current problem is that _REENTRANT is always defined by libstdc++
headers, so we can't use it to detect if user has specified -pthread.
However, if boost/config.hpp is included before system headers and checks for
_REENTRANT before including system headers on its own, it can reliably check
if -pthread was specified. Of course, the requirements to include
boost/config.hpp before everything else is a drastic one.

- Volodya