From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-30 23:56:56

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> John Torjo wrote:
>
>> Dear boosters,
>>
>> Worked some more on the logging library, and here's what's new:
>>
>> - added ***documentation***
>> - added samples
>> - made static library (improved compilation times)
>> - added efficient thread-safe logger, which does the logging on a
>> dedicated thread
>

> why do you route the log to a different thread instead of writing
> it directly ? On the one hand you provide macros to be able to
> optimize the logger code away if it is not desired, on the other hand
> you accept a full context switch (and mutex lock and...) for each single
> message !

Note that this (the efficient thread-safe logger) is just one of the
possible loggers that come with the library - see the documentation.

Note: when allowing to optimize away logs (note: not loggers!), it's a
whole different story.

A log can end up (if enabled) to call multiple functions - loggers
and/or modifier functions.

One of the loggers is the thread-safe logger/ on a dedicated thread.
Take a look at multiple_threads sample and maybe you'll understand
better. Please let me know if there are any more issues. Thanks.

> May be, if you want to be fancy and fashionable, you could put this kind of
> 'strategy' into a trait...

Actually, it is a 'strategy' ;) see above.

Best,
John

--
John Torjo