From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-03 15:23:23

Andreas Huber wrote:
> 1. How do other contributors deal with spam/viruses clogging up their
> in-boxes? Am I worrying about something that will never be a big deal?

I am not a contributor; yet I am sure my email address appears many
places from which it would be harvested, such as ChangeLogs in other
projects. I have found the ability to use separate different address
(as you seem to do) for different purposes limits the potiential for
spam to ever be a serious problem for me.

The particular fashion in which I have mail filters set up (nothing
unique I'm sure) means that the vast majority of spam is immediately
recognizable such that I can skip it very quickly. A good threaded mail
reader helps in this respect.

I would be extremely suprised if the time I spend processing spam would
ever come near the amount of time it takes me to sort through the
mailing lists I read, and actually reading email that I am genuinely
interested in.

Therefore, I am vaguely opposed to this sort of thing. Often
overzealous spam measures make it difficult to get at someone's address
when I would really like to; other measures such as subscribe-only lists
etc threaten to take more time for me to work with than spam ever will.

Hoping these comments will be useful,

Aaron W. LaFramboise