From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-06 14:41:50

"Howard Hinnant" <hinnant_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> For it to make a significant difference in performance, say for
> passing a parameter, the function would have to be very short -
> short enough that it should be inlined.
> [...]
> But I'm having more trouble coming up with a situation where
> the performance difference is enough that I'd want to start lacing
> my generic code with call_traits for this purpose. However if you
> have such examples, I'm interested in pursuing this further.

Well, I started using it in policy_ptr, where basically all the functions
*are* very short and inlined, where performance matters, and where
the library doesn't know what types are going to be passed to it. I
think in the vast majority of cases, it won't make a difference,
because a fundamental pointer type will be used; but I like to
think that I'm improving the QoI by using it anyway.

Dave

---